Iowa law does not exempt farmers from making notifications to the Iowa One call System prior to engaging in a variety of farming operations. Iowa farmers are required to notify Iowa One Call prior to engaging in any of the following operations:
- --All drain tiling operations
- --All terracing operations
- --All operations that penetrate the soil more than fifteen (15) inches in depth:
- --Chisel plowing more 15 inches in depth
- --Sub-soiling more 15 inches in depth
- --Ripping more 15 inches in depth
- --Other operations penetrating the soil more than 15 inches in depth
- --Digging or driving a post in a new location other than replacing a post in its existing location.
What this tells us is that we as a utility are getting the message out about calling 811, but farm operations still don’t know for what circumstances they should call. Utilities that have gas, electric, broadband lines in farm right-a-ways or in the fields this could be critical. You might need to change your messaging that we are sending out to our farm operations.