Public Power Week is coming up, Oct 4–10. Please join 2,000 small and large municipal utilities across the country in telling your customers about the benefits of public power.
You'll find many tools and templates from the American Public Power Association at www.PublicPower.org/PublicPowerWeek. Simply use your APPA member login to download any or all of these resources, adapt as you see fit, and use them to tell your story. In addition to sample fact sheets, press releases, op-eds, and letters to public officials, we have a host of brand-new digital resources for you this year. Do check out the Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram images, info-graphics, comic strips; and videos that we developed specially for you.
Check out our brand-new animated video on the benefits of public power. Feel free to download and use the video on your website, social media, etc. It's great for Public Power Week but you can also use this video year round. We have 15, 30, and 90-second versions for you. Hope Public Power Week is going well.
You may already be planning special community events and promotions for your utility, and we'd love to hear how it all goes — email your pictures and reports to us at PublicPowerWeek@PublicPower.org. Or post them on social media and use #PublicPowerWeek and tag us @PublicPowerOrg on Twitter and Instagram.
If you haven't made plans, it's not too late. Here are five simple things you can do now:
- Download and use pictures of the superhero mascot, Captain Public Power, on your website and social media, and other materials.
- Take a mounted picture of Captain Public Power around town for "selfies" at community landmarks, with your customers, staff, and city officials. Post your photos to Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram with #PublicPowerWeek and @PublicPowerOrg.
- Send a press release (see our sample) to your local newspaper, TV, and radio stations and offer up your executives for interviews or to answer people's questions about their electricity.
- Educate your customers with infographics on community solar and home batteries.
- Engage your audiences by sharing fun and informational comic strips (one for every business day of Public Power Week) on energy efficiency, safety, new technologies, community solar, and careers in public power.