Testing Options and Locations:Proctored In Person exams by appointment at the following venues:
- Des Moines Area Community College (DMACC):
- DMACC Southridge, 1111 E Army Post Rd, Des Moines, IA 50315
- DMACC Urban, 1100 7th St., Des Moines, IA 50314
- Northeast Iowa Community College:
- NICC Calmar, Student Center, 1625 Hwy 150 South, Calmar, IA 52132
- NICC Dubuque, Dubuque Center, 700 Main St., Dubuque, IA 52001
- Iowa DNR Field Offices:
- Field Office 1 - NE Iowa, 1101 Commercial Ct., Suite 10, Manchester, IA 52057
- Field Office 2 - NC Iowa, 2300 15th St. SW, Mason City, IA 50401
- Field Office 3 - NW Iowa, 1900 N Grand Ave., Suite E17, Spencer, IA 51301
- Field Office 4 - SW Iowa, 1401 Sunnsyside Ln., Atlantic, IA 50022
- Field Office 6 - SE Iowa, 1023 W. Madison, Washington, IA 52353
Please note that in person exams are given by appointment only. Do not walk into a venue without an appointment or call the venues looking to schedule an exam.
Remote Proctoring: Operators can take drinking water or wastewater certification exams on any laptop or desktop computer that has a camera and microphone. Please note that this does not include tablets, IPads, or phones. Once an operator logs in on the link provided by the testing company via email, their browser is frozen; a proctor can see them through the camera; their surroundings are monitored for extra materials or cheating; and the test session is recorded for future reference in case of cheating suspicions or accusations. The testing company provides a YouTube training video and live customer support for any technical issues arising during a remote testing session.
What steps does an operator take to begin the exam process?
Step 1: Apply for exam eligibility online at the Operator Certification Database and Training Calendar website, using the “Exam Eligibility Application” link. Remember, you must be issued an Eligibility email from the Iowa DNR prior to registering to take any exam.
Step 2: Upon receipt of an Eligibility email from the Iowa DNR, email the following information to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Operator/Examinee Name
- Operator ID# (for existing operators)
- Preferred Exam Option (remote or in person) and Venue (for in person option)
- Operator/Examinee email address, phone number and contact address
- Exam Type(s) and Grade(s)
- Indicate if this is a first attempt or retest
Step 3: Receive response relative to your choice of exam delivery, following your exam eligibility submission.
- In Person Proctoring Option - Staff from the venue you indicated as your preference will contact you and schedule an exam appointment. Do not walk into a venue without an appointment or call the venues looking to schedule; they will contact you.
- Remote Proctoring Option - Watch for an email from the proctoring service PSI Customer Service (email@example.com). This email will include detailed instructions for exam scheduling, the exam procedure, and a link for the scheduling and rescheduling of your unique exam(s). You will have complete control over this. Remote Proctoring is offered twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week.